Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 31-Humor me

I forgot to mention some funny things that Tyler was doing the other day. So, when I am being weird Tyler would always tell me that I "was a dork." But, anytime he would say that we both would laugh about it because it was true. Anyways we won't get into the details about that ;) So, the other day Jamie and I were with him while he was eating lunch and I don't know what we said or what we did, but Tyler just looked over at me and gave me this little smirk, looked over at Jamie and gave her a little smirk, and looked at us like we were being dorky. It was just so funny because when he did that, it was totally him. So, we started laughing including Tyler. At first Tyler wasn't sure why we were laughing and we were laughing because he gave us that funny look, but then after we told him, he started to chuckle. It was such a great moment. I love it when those memories come back. When he was waiting for his food, they have the food set out at a different table, and he saw some of the food and said "Yuck," and even made the facial expression to go with it. It was soooo funny! But, I know what food he was looking at, and it did not look appetizing to me either. It looked like some kind of mush. Luckily he didn't have to eat any of that!! When Tyler's friends Larry and Ashley visit him, they always have Tyler laughing about something. They just know how to make him laugh, but they also have known each other for a very long time. I am sure others make Tyler laugh too, but for some reason he doesn't like my kind of humor!!! I'm not giving up though. I am determined to get him laughing at me one of these days. :) He is doing better at communicating. In fact, when he was eating dinner tonight, he was trying to tell me something but I couldn't understand. So, I told him to swallow his food and tell me again. And he did, and it was so clear that second time. It's amazing how if he really puts his mind to it, he can do it. I also gave him a piece of turtle cheesecake and he loved it. When he was eating it he told me that it was rich. Needless to say, he wasn't able to finish it, but he sure enjoyed what he had. It's so nice to see how much he appreciates the little things. Tyler had his emotional moments today. He just needs to express his feelings and this is one of the ways he does it. It was funny because when he was around Brandon he acted so tough and didn't want to cry around him, but the second I walked out the door away from Brandon, he just started crying. He is really trying to be so tough, but it is also so emotional draining for him right now. He is just becoming more and more aware of his situation and he is trying to make sense of all of this. But, all in all, Tyler really is doing well. He is staying stronger than I could probably ever be if I were in his situation. We are all so proud of you Ty!!!!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Lisa you and your family are amazing! I love reading about Tyler's progress and all that is happening in your lives. it's so great that he is remembering and re-learning how to express his emotions. Thanks for being so strong and keeping us all updated on his situation.

Larry and Ashley said...

You are so right! Tyler was trying to tell us something and we couldn't understand him so we told him to swallow his ice cream and try again and we could understand him! He is doing so good and it's such an awesome thing to see! Oh trust me...I'm not funny! He laughs at Larry and they are things I don't even think are funny! But hey what ever gets him going right? Honestly it is really nice to hear him express his emotions and feelings like he did on Sunday. I hate so see him so sad and cry...but it is a positive thing because he is getting it out and learning from it! Thanks for the update!!

Slater Blog said...

You said one day you will get him to laugh at you, well he did laugh at you. Just not from one of your jokes or something, but it was sure awesome to see him laughing that day. It felt good to see him that way.

Debbie Murdock said...

Humor is the best in any type of recovery...I don't know how people can live without it.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones