Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 26

Tyler is still doing good. He was a bit emotional yesterday when Holly and I went to visit him. I think there are a couple of reasons for it. He was probably excited to see us, like he is when he sees any of us. Another reason is he has been falling out of his bed a lot lately and the other day he fell out of his bed and landed on his head. So, now he has two black eyes and it looks like a goose egg on the front of his head. The problem is, he really thinks he can just get up and walk and doesn't understand quite yet that his body won't let him. His mind is working faster than his body is. He knows he can walk and stand up by himself but he just can't. I am sure he is pretty frustrated knowing that he can do it but his body won't let him. He is pretty much trapped right now and that is hard for him. He also has sores all over his hand from trying to wheel himself around. So, thankfully one of the physical therapists there, got him some work out gloves so that he doesn't hurt his hands again. The other day Tehra caught Tyler trying to stand up by himself. We know that is why he keeps falling out of his bed because he is experimenting on what he can do. Which, in a way, is a good thing. But, at the same time, it's not good because he will hurt himself. It's hard to see him this way and I really can't imagine having no control of my body. I know this doesn't even compare, but I had a dream the other night that I overdosed on drugs (Which is pretty funny that that would happen to me) but in my dream, I knew I could do things but I had no control of my body and it was thee hardest thing. So, I can imagine how hard it must be for him. All in all though, Tyler really is improving each day. In physical therapy yesterday they had him standing up but he was in between this like portable station type thing. So, he was in the middle of this thing standing up and he did so well keeping himself straight up. They had him doing the exercise step bike and he did so well on that. His resistance level was at an 8 and the highest is a 10. So, he was really working hard and wouldn't quit. That is it for now. I will keep you updated when I have more updates.

4 comments:

Alison said...

That's amazing! Way to go Tyler. Keep up the good work!

Slater Blog said...

Maybe Heavenly Father is kind of giving you an idea of what Tyler is going through, and that is why you had that dream. hhm, who knows. Great update though, thanks for the pics. I can't wait to get better so I can see him again.

Larry and Ashley said...

You can just tell in those pictures how much determination he is! I love seeing that in his face. I know it is so frustrating to him he told your dad that on Saturday. I feel so bad but at least we know he will not be giving up!

Alicia said...

Great to see him so determined!!! he has it within him to get on top of this. Just keep telling him that and remind him to be kind to himself and not "run faster" than he should. He'll get there. After all, how can he fail with all of you behind him!?!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones