Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tyler Update Day 5

WOW, is all I can say right now. Tyler made some big improvements today. They were able to take him off of the respirator, so now he doesn't have any more tubes to deal with and he is officially breathing on his own. They obviously have to still give him oxygen but he has been breathing on his own since this afternoon. It' amazing the improvements he has made since yesterday. Yesterday they were able to get him off of the ventilator for about an hour and he got tired, but today is a whole new story. Like my sister was saying in her blog, after they took the tubes out of Tyler he was just sighing for relief. He did it over and over again. Oh man, it was very very heartbreaking listening to him when they were taking that tube out. I never ever ever want to hear that again. Ever. My sister, Tehra, Jason and I stepped out of his room waiting for them to get it out but when we heard Tyler when they were taking it out, we had to leave where we couldn't hear it. I know that it was normal for Tyler to react that way, but oh man, it was scary. The big story for the day was when his kind of girlfriend Tehra was in there, she was just resting her head on the side panels on the bed and said that she was going to leave to get my parents so that they could come see him, and as soon as she said that, Tyler lifted his arms trying to bring it to her face, he brought his face forward and puckered. So, she kissed him on his oxygen mask. Is that just not amazing? We know without a doubt that he is hanging on for her and other reasons I am sure. But he obviously remembers her. He was able to say "Hi," kind of raspy though (Which is to be expected too because he had that tube down his throat for 5 days. He also laughed for a brief moment and said "ow.' He didn't do those things together, they were during different times of the night. He is able to move his hands and arms a lot more and he can move his head back and forth, and he seems to be able to look at us better. I mean, he still can't focus on us and isn't quite staring at us, but it seems he is trying to focus more than yesterday. Oh man, I am so sorry for each post being so long. This blog right now is literally my journal and I want to start writing everything I remember for that day so that we can share this with Tyler some day. Not only that, but maybe share it with others to show them that we have witnessed a miracle. It's a miracle alone that he is progressing as much and as fast as he is. It's a miracle that the paramedics were able to revive him. When the paramedics went to get him he had no pulse. We also don't know how long he was out for and that is why we don't know how much damage it did to his brain. Obviously Tyler still has work to do on this earth and Heavenly Father isn't ready for him to leave us yet. There is a reason and I know I keep saying this, but there is a reason he is still here. We look forward to each day because of what he will be doing next. We honestly can't wait for the next day to come, it just doesn't come fast enough. But, it almost feels like it is too good to be true. Sometimes I wonder if I am getting my hopes up too high. It is extremely hard not to when he is making as many improvements as he has. But, we still need to be aware that it is a possibility that he will have to learn to eat, talk and walk again. We just don't know at this point. That is what is so hard. It is still up in the air. Wow, now that you are all falling asleep, I will end this update for today. Someday I will have to start from the beginning of what happened. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see. Thanks again for all of your support and prayers. Like my sister said in her blog, we are truly grateful for your prayers and concerns. They truly are helping. We just can't thank everybody enough.

5 comments:

A Date with Pinterest said...

..."Tyler still has work to do on this earth and Heavenly Father isn't ready for him to leave us yet. There is a reason and I know I keep saying this, but there is a reason he is still here"...
You hit the nail on the head! I'm glad he's doing so much better! That is excellent news!!! Thanks for keeping us updated, and if you need anything, let us know!
xoxo

Alicia said...

woohoo. That is such great news to hear. I'm sure that his being able to see how much he really does mean to everyone at this time has been a huge factor in his trying to improve. You are his amazing angels that made a difference!!!
Love,
Mom

Lara said...

So good to hear! Not only for his sake, but for yours! Loves

Slater Blog said...

I am with you about the journaling factor. I am not very good at writing things down, but typing it out seems to be so much better. i can't wait to see what improvements he is making today.

Slater Blog said...

oh yeah, great job on finding a picture. I need to get one so I can put it on my blog too.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones