Friday, February 20, 2009
Rehab-Day 1
First of all, I just want to thank everyone for your sweet comments. I love hearing and reading what all of you think. Not only that, but every comment is always so positive and I love it!! So, thanks to all of you! Thanks to everyone who are reading my updates as well!
Now..on to the good stuff. Tyler has been in rehab for one day. Don't worry, if he is in rehab for a year I won't put what day it is in the title of my posts....I don't think ;) So, anyways, the people that are working with Tyler just love him. They are taking such good care of him. The thing that has been hard on me, is knowing that he has to learn everything all over again, like a baby. I already knew this would most likely happen, but when it was confirmed to me, it just saddened me. I guess I was just really hoping it wouldn't come down to it. It really hit me last night when my Mom told me he has to learn everything all over again and that it is going to take longer than we think it will. I just started to cry. I got home and cried some more. The hardest part for me, is seeing Tyler this way. It's hard to see that he isn't himself yet. I can't imagine what he is thinking. Anytime I wonder what he is thinking, it just makes me sad because I know he doesn't want to be this way. But, hopefully this will be a good lesson for him. I really really hope this can be a lesson for those who have an addiction. I hope they can see what drugs will do to you. You never think it's going to happen to you, or anybody in your family, until one day it will. I never thought this would happen...and it did.
Just so you all know, I am not trying to get sympathy. Like I said before, this is like my journal, so I am writing down mostly everything I am thinking. I am really trying to stay strong, and I hope everybody can understand why I still get emotional occassionally. I worry that people are thinking, okay, just move on with your life and stop crying already. I have been told many a time, that I worry too much about what others think, and....I do. I wish I didn't. I Just wanted to get that out in the open!
Anyways, there is good news to this post. They have been teaching Tyler to feed himself. They are just starting with finger foods right now and he is able to do that. So, that is definitely a big step for him. He also has been telling the people that work with him, (I am not sure what to call them) when he needs to go to the bathroom. That is also a HUGE thing. Tyler doesn't have to wear those grose hospital gowns anymore. He is wearing normal clothes. He is happy about that. But, who wouldn't be. He also Loves to be wheeled around in the wheel chair. I bet it feels so good to be able to sit in that chair and go out and see more things rather than laying in a bed all day, every day. I can't imagine having to stay in a bed for two weeks. So, that's gotta be nice for Tyler.
They tried to get Tyler to stand up, but he can't quite do it yet. He just doesn't have the strength to do it yet. Not only that, but when he was in the hospital his head favored the right side and so when he stood up that is where his head would go. So, they are going to find some type of brace to help keep his neck straight and to teach him to move his head both directions to work those muscles.
I think that is it for now. I will keep you updated when I find out more. Talk to you soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Lisa, I think you, Jamie and Holly have been very strong through this whole journey. It is an emotional rollercoaster that has ups and downs. Just keep your head up and move forward is all you can do. Every day has its rewards as small as it may be. It really hurts and breaks your heart to see Tyler like this but once he is on the mends it is full steam ahead. I hope he makes adjustments in his future life and uses this experience to help others. Keep up the journaling, it helps mend your heart and soul. There are many of us who care about you and your family and want to make sure you guys are ok.
First, thank you Karen for your kind words - you are such a support to us. Lisa, thank you for your updates, it helps me too. You tend to get more details than I do sometimes so it is nice to hear a different perspective.
That is so good to hear that he is able to stand and even wear his own clothes! That has to be so nice to see. We were both really upset when we heard he was so far away but I know that it is the best decision. He will be able to work on himself a ton and that's exactly what he needs. You can just tell that he has the motivation to relearn things so he will. We miss not seeing him and all of you guys everyday. We will be there tonight for your dads birthday for sure. We would love to hear more about how he is doing and when we can go and see him! Thanks so much for all the updates I can't even tell you how much I love reading them. And by the way...there is no way you are being a baby...honestly you are all handeling this so well so don't worry about that at all!
Hi Lisa!! Thanks for the update. I am so glad that Audrey got to go see him. I loved the story of their conversation!! I am so glad that Tyler is continuing to progress and I think your emotions are very justified, you don't need to worry about any of your reactions or feelings. Please let me know if you need anything.
Tricia
p.s. when you are in Roy visiting your brother and you want to stop at a good burger joint, maybe take him one too, there is a place called Burger Bar and it is supposed to be AWESOME!! I have not been there yet, but it was on the T.V. show on food network called "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives," and all of their food is made fresh and looks sooo...good. You and Tyler may as well enjoy some of the Roy goodness while you are out there!!!
Post a Comment