Saturday, March 13, 2010
An attempt at potty training
So, I decided today that I would start potty training Audrey. Well, so, it started off really well. I put her swimming suit bottoms on (because I don't have any panties for her to wear right now) and I told her not to go potty when wearing the swimming suit. She did really well the first hour. I took her up to the bathroom about every ten to 15 minutes to try to go potty and she finally did the last time we went up. I was so EXCITED!!!! So, I was just way excited for her and telling her what an awesome job she did going pee in the big girl potty and she was so excited about it for the first minute and than was done being excited about it. So I gave her a piece of chocolate for doing such an awesome job going potty. I think I discovered that too much praise is not a good thing for Audrey.
So, then about another hour later, I decided that I would put her diaper back on because well, it was nap time. But I took her up to the bathroom again to have her try and go potty before her nap time but she would not have it. It was like she was scared to go to the bathroom again. So, I decided that I would put her back in her swimming suit after her nap time. Well, I did and I again, kept asking her every ten minutes if she needed to go potty and this time around she was more willing to go to the bathroom she didn't seem as scared as she was before her nap. So, we would go sit on the potty until she needed to go again. Well, we did that again, she sat on the potty but didn't go, so than we went to go play and I asked her again maybe like a couple of minutes after she couldn't go if she needed to go potty and she said no. Well, before I know it she is peeing in her pants. I then hurry and grab her and take her to the bathroom and I think me doing that totally turned her off from wanting to go potty. She really was scared to go potty after that and she keeps telling me that she doesn't like to go potty. She would much rather wear her diaper and is more willing now to sit down and let me change her diaper. She would do anything just so she doesn't have to go potty in the big girl potty.
Man, I am telling you, this whole potty training things sucks. You try one thing and that does not work, then you try another thing and that does not work. I did learn a couple of things though. Number one being that, I cannot praise Audrey too much on anything or it will scare her off. It really will. So at least I know how I need to react around her. Number two, I learned that right now she really doesn't know what "going potty" means. She doesn't understand right now that you do actually go pee and poop in the potty and not your diaper. She doesn't know the difference between pee and poop yet. Well, she probably does now, but she didn't. I knew she just wasn't ready for this yet. I don't know why I don't listen to my instincts more often. So, now I am discouraged. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should just stop and try again in a month or so, or just keep going at it. The problem is, I don't want her to hate going potty. I want her to like it and if I keep making her do it, than she won't ever want to learn. I worry that I already scarred her from wanting to go potty. She has always been the type where she likes to do things on her own time. Really though, that is how she has been with everything....since the day she was born. We just can't force her to do something if she is not ready because she won't do it. She is very independent and wants to do things on her own. I think now just might not be a good time to potty train her. I am thinking she is not ready for it yet. What do you all think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I think you are right about waiting a little while and letting her try again. Letting her see you on the potty and telling her that is what the "big girls" do, and when she is going on the potty, Grammy will buy her some "pretty big girl panties". Maybe on a shopping trip you can show her what panties look like.
Potty-training is so hard, huh?!?! I was lucky because Paislee actually did catch on, but it seriously was the hardest days we have had with her!
You know Audrey better than anyone else, so I would say it's up to you on what to do with her. But the one advice I always hear with potty-training is BE CONSISTENT! So, I would say since you have already started with her, keep it going. Because you will be right back to this the next time you try and start & she will know that if she doesn't cooperate then you will give up. So, I say keep it going and just let her know you aren't giving up and she has to go in the potty like a big girl. I was told never to put a diaper back on her once I did panties, and honestly I really think that helped. I made Paislee throw all her diapers away (except I secretly kept them), just so she knew that she HAD to wear panties and go in the toilet. At naptime I would just layer her bed with tons of towels because I figured she would have an accident. It takes a few days, but it's so worth it once they catch on! GOOD LUCK!
OK, now you know what we have all been through. There is not a more trying time than potty training. It does take a lot of patience on your part. She may not be quite ready yet. We thought Emilee was ready just after 2 years old, she knew what she was doing but just was scared of the potty, I think that is natural. She finally understood it more when she saw her friends doing it, plus she was closer to 3 years by this point. I would ask her periodically but don't stress it yet too much yet. She may just not be ready. But when you know she needs to go, try and get her to try and go.
Another trick that helped us was getting some library books about going potty. once we knew she was ready i went out and got some new panties for her. having her own panties really helped too.
Like you said, Audrey doesn't do well with a whole lot of encouragement and praise, but still give her some. And good job with the chocolate thing. We still give Emilee chocolate for going poop on the potty because she still has accidents.
right now we are working on getting her to go through the night without going in her pants. Some nights are better than others but she is learning.
The key is to be patient with her. Good luck Lis.
I think I'm not excited to potty train... :( Boooo
Good luck Lisa!!!
Post a Comment