Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Success-day 33

So, I did it, I made Tyler laugh today! Woohoo!!! So, remember how I was so determined to get him to laugh at what I said, well the day has finally come. So, this is how the conversation went: First, I was sitting next to Tyler and looked at him and I said: Me: "Yo." Awkward silence Lisa:"Yeeaahh.. I know I'm a dork." Tyler: (Tyler just gets the biggest smile on his face and gives me his famous look and says) "You're a dork Lisa." Me: laughing really hard. ( Holly and I were laughing so hard and he was laughing with us..or at me, one of the two:). So then, Holly comes into the picture and asks Tyler a question): Holly: "Am I a dork Tyler?" Tyler: "No, just Lisa is." Oh man, I have been waiting to hear him tell me that for a long time. A normal person would be bothered by somebody telling them that, but can I just tell you how much I really wanted Tyler to say that. It just helped me realize even more that he is still the same Tyler we all know. So since I was in a laughing mood I might as well keep laughing, right? So, Tyler was eating a twix bar during that last funny episode, and when he was done he had some chocolate on his nose, and all I could do was laugh. I know that sounds really mean, but it wasn't I promise. So, Tyler started to laugh with me and he asked me what I was laughing at. So, when I tried to tell him, I couldn't spit it out because I was laughing so hard. So, we all laughed and then I finally told him that he had some chocolate on his nose and he laughed again. These things might not be as funny to anybody reading this as it is to us. But, trust me, it was funny. ahh...Good times!! Today was a great day! They have this harness that they strap around Tyler now when sitting in his wheel chair. So, now he doesn't have to worry about that laptray. It's actually a lot better for Tyler because it will help him sit up straiter, rather than bending over like he was before. But, Tyler isn't quite fond of it yet. He'll get use to it I'm sure. He is doing better at sitting up in his bed, but, lets just say his body is still too weak for him to have control over it. He is doing so great though. We had him write the alphabet today as well as his name and a couple of other things. He did it, but it is very small, and kind of hard to read. Small, because he use to always write really small. But, we also don't expect that he will just write a book tomorrow. He needs more practice and someday, if he chooses, might write a book. So, it will take practice, but he will get it in no time. He also does so well in therapy, but his toe has been hurting him lately. They aren't quite sure what is wrong with it, but it sure is bothering him, with reason too. Poor kid just has all kinds of bumps and bruises. Oh, one other thing, he is able to put on his own socks. That is a huge huge improvement right there. He was also able to get a drink out of the drinking fountain while standing up. That was another huge accomplishment the therapist said. So, when I say "when he stands up, or when he is walking," keep in mind that Tyler has help when doing those things. He can't do it all on his own yet. I just didn't want to confuse anybody. Well, I probably ought to go to bed, even though I'm not tired. I probably should just try to sleep.Having training so late at night gives me more energy then I need. so focused..notice how well he is standing in all of these pictures.

2 comments:

Slater Blog said...

oh, I am so excited to see him yet. I too have been thinking of something to get him laughing. Maybe he will laugh with me today. He looks awesome! Thanks for your update.

Larry and Ashley said...

Ah that is soooo exciting!! I am so happy to hear he is doing so good! Haha I knew you would make him laugh Lisa you are funny! He looks SO good I can't even stand it! I can't wait for us to go and see him Sunday for sure! It's so good to hear that he got rid of that dumb tray...it was making him all blue! And it's so good to hear he is writing! Seriously what an AWESOME post it makes me so happy!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones