Sunday, February 15, 2009

Update day 9

Tyler had a much much better day yesterday. Brandon was able to finally witness the things that he can do and more. I think the last time Brandon saw Tyler was last Sunday. So, when he saw Tyler yesterday he was just amazed at the progress he is making. First of all, I have a bit of a cold and so I had to wear one of those masks so that I didn't spread any germs to Tyler and when Brandon and I walked in, he first said Brandon's name and than he saw me and just got this huge smile on his face, just wondering why I was wearing a mask. It did look a little funny and I know that is what he was smiling at. The look seriously was priceless. Everytime I picture that smile, it makes me laugh. It was sooo funny! So, anyways, Tyler was in the social mood yesterday. Brandon was able to get him to laugh, smile a few times, and Tyler said "yeah," in agreeance with what Brandon was saying. Brandon was just telling him about the Utes basketball and how well they are doing, and he lifted his eyebrows and said "oh," like he was saying "oh really?" Before I left so that others could see him, I asked him to do me favor and say my name, and he did. That just made my day. He is getting better at saying everybody's name now. He told us he loved us a few times and when Brandon was leaving he said he loved him and that he would see him later. Tyler said in a muffled voice "see ya, man." It was just so great. Tyler was doing all sorts of things for everybody yesterday. He is definitely trying to talk a lot more, but we just can't understand what he is saying. He is really trying to have a conversation with us and we wish we knew what he was saying. I know how hard this must be for him too. It's got to be so frustrating. The neurologist said Tyler is doing really well. In fact, he said that we could try giving him a pencil and paper to see if he will communicate that way. Obviously we will have to work with him on that just like everything else, and he isn't just going to know how to write what he thinks, right away. It will take some time, but he will get it. Repetition is key right now. I don't remember if I already mentioned this in a previous post, but Tyler can arm wrestle. He is so strong. He is also trying to lift himself up into a sitting position. If he keeps building his strenghth like he has been doing the past week, he will be sitting in no time. But, I am sure it will still be a long process, which is fine because we have time. He can now officially sign us the " I love you sign," with his hand. Friday he was barely able to do it, but yesterday he did it perfectly. There was just so much that happened in the past couple of days that I feel like I forgot to mention something. Hmmm....well, if it comes to me I will post it. Thanks for being patient and listening to me!

2 comments:

Larry and Ashley said...

Oh my gosh that is SO good to hear!! We are so sad that we couldn't make it up yesterday! The weather down here was really bad and once it got better of course we had stuff we had planned to do! Hopefully we will make it up today or tomorrow to see his progress! I love reading your posts they are so uplifting and positive! We can't wait to go and see him!!

A Date with Pinterest said...

I'm glad he's doing better, it sounds like he is very strong, which is good, and I know it helps that he has a very supportive family, and friends.

xoxo


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones