Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Tyler update-Innocence
I don't know where to begin right now. I have been emotional tonight since I saw Tyler this evening because I am so grateful that he is still here with us. I hope by reading this, everybody will feel the hope and love that I have felt. I hope what I say comes across how I want it to.
It's a miracle!! My brother is still here with us. I can't even explain to you how precious it is to hear Tyler talk. He is so innocent, like a little child. I got choked up tonight when we all got together and sang to him for his Birthday. He loved having the family there....just loved it, you could just see it right through him. And not only that but he was so thankful for us. He kept saying thank you in such an innocent tone. He would tell each one of us that he loves us. It really saddens me to know that drugs have gotten him where he is at right now. It really is hard when he says he is sorry, and when he says he doesn't want to be there. It's hard because I am starting to believe that he knows why he is there in the hospital and he is being hard on himself now. He needs so much encouragement right now, and that is what we have been giving him. I have a hard enough time when anybody is hard on themselves and aren't happy. It seriously breaks my heart so much.
I can't even describe to you the amazing progress Tyler is making. It is truly amazing how much he improves from day to day. He is talking so much more and so much more clear. Not only that, but Tyler can now look at us with full..ummm...can't think of the word...but he can concentrate on us better and he isn't distant anymore when he stares. Apparently Tyler decided he didn't want the feeding tube anymore, so the nurses have been trying to feed him pudding, jello, applesauce, etc. The pudding didn't do well with him the first couple of times, so they are going to hold off on the dairy for a little while. He can hold his own cup and bring the straw to his mouth. He can tell us when he needs more water. He can change the tv channel on his own. When my sister went to visit Tyler today, he just started crying, and Jamie asked what was wrong, and he said "I don't know." It is very hard not to tear up and cry too when he is crying. He was able to wipe his eyes and nose with a tissue. When my mom was reading Tyler's birthday card she got for him, she started crying and Jamie finished it for her, after the card was read, Tyler started to cry. It was so sad. This was the first time I have seen him cry since being in the hospital, and apparently what I witnessed was nothing. Jamie said that when she saw him cry, it is a lot worse. I am glad I saw only part of that cry because I would lose if it was any worse than that.
Tyler remembers so many things. He is quite the character. He loves to laugh and always has. So, to see his personality slowly come back is truly a miracle. There are so many new things that Tyler has said and is doing, it would be impossible for me to write it all down. It would be like me writing down everything I talked about today. It's that amazing. Tyler is learning so much. We have to take baby steps, but those baby steps seem to be going fast. Tyler can count, he was counting today when we were all in his room waiting to sing to him for his birthday. We still have to help him which numbers come next sometimes. He can wave, and kind of blow a kiss. He is giving out hugs a lot more lately. He will just hold his arms out for us. We asked him how old he was today, and he was able to tell us..except that he thought he was 24. When really he is 23. It was cute. Tehra was reading him a card from a friend and there was somebody that signed it and he didn't know who it was and he said "Who is that." He was being so funny today.
My parents got Tyler a basketball and we all signed it and he just loved it. He either tried to spin the basketball or tried to throw it. I think he was trying to throw it because he even positioned his hands the right way as if he was about to throw it. It was amazing. Tehra got him some basketball shoes too. He just loved it.
My brother Corey called tonight , and my Mom decided that Corey should say Hi to Tyler today for his Birthday. Well, My mom put the phone to Tyler's ear and Tyler said "Hello, Hi brother, I love you bro." Corey wished him a happy birthday and Tyler said "Thank you." When Tyler was talking to Corey, it was clear as day. It was the sweetest thing, especially if you have heard Tyler talk. Corey needed that so much, and I think that conversation is going to help him get through the long road he has ahead of him.
I am excited everyday for the next new thing Tyler will be doing. I hope everyone that reads my posts get as excited as I do to hear about his progression. I hope that by reading his progress this will help change your life and others in some way or another. I hope that if there are people who are reading this that are struggling with this same thing and similar situation, will know that there is hope. This has given me a better appreciation for those families who are going through the same thing. I hope that nobody ever has to go through this and I hope that with this miracle God blessed us with that we will all believe a little bit more. Believe in hope...believe in miracles.
Picture above: Last Monday
One week later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Lisa, I am so glad for your daily updates. Since I cannot make it to the hospital as much as I want to, it is nice to know all that you do. Thanks! Amy
I couldn't have said anything better myself I love reading your posts! I was so thankful that we were able to be with you guys to wish him a happy birthday! We love him so much and would do anything for him! He means so much to us and when I see him interact with Larry I just can't even explain how happy it makes me! When Larry walked up to him before we left and he did what he did and started laughing...that seriously will help get me through the week just seeing his face! Tyler is in there and he is showing more and more everyday! We want to thank you guys so much for allowing us to be there as much as we have been! And we can't wait for your dads birthday party ;) haha you will have to let us know what you need us to bring!
Man, you need to be a writer. That was an awesome post. So you know, he needs to go through this grieving process. It for one is a part of repentance and two, he just feels bad. It is normal, and I know it will make him stronger. It really does break your heart to see him with so much remorse, but like I said, it will make him stronger. I think maybe I will just copy your post and put it on my blog....just kidding. It sounded great though.
Lisa, that was such an excellent and awesome post. I'm glad to know your family is seeing Tyler improve daily. Every day is a great day when he makes some improvement.
I'm so glad to hear he is doing better! Your experience is valuable to me as I only see patient's initially and don't see their long term struggle.
I'm glad you included pictures, he certainly is looking better!
Hang in there!
Lisa, I'm thankful that your brother is doing better. God must have some plans for this boy with this second chance he has been given. I hope that this will be a changing point in his life. Matt's brothers don't seem to get it yet how precious life is. Hoping for a miracle in that regard.
You have got tto be the best sister a brother can have. You can just feel the love in your family when you read these postings. I am so happy Tyler is progressing so much and I don't think you could have stated what you said any better. It was perfect and I know it will give us all more faith and hope!!
Love ya!!
Tricia
Post a Comment